Monday, June 11, 2007

How Well Do We Know God's Word?

{{Transferred from previous blog}}




How often do the enemies of God
know more of God's Word
than His own children do?

There are false religions
that have more knowledge of the Holy Bible
than many born-again believers do.

This is true today
and this was true in Bible times as well.
For example,
the Pharisees knew the Scriptures
and Christ's teachings...
"Now the next day,
that followed the day of the preparation,
the chief priests and Pharisees
came together unto Pilate,Saying,
Sir, we remember that that deceiver said,
while he was yet alive,
After three days I will rise again."
~ Matthew 27:62-63

The Pharisses believed
Jesus to be a deciever,
yet they listened and remembered
what He had taught.

In contrast, Jesus' own disciples,
when they went to His tomb,
did not remember...
"For as yet they knew not the scripture,
that he must rise again from the dead."
~ John 20:9



The enemies of Christ
knew more of the Scriptures
than His disciples seemingly did.

I was challenged
with this question Sunday morning
and it's not so far-fetched
as to be impossible to happen...


If our Bibles
were taken away from us,
how much of God's Word
would we be able to put back together
through memorization?


As individuals, as families,
and as a body of believers...
would we know enough of God's Word
if, for some reason, it were taken?

Though the confinscation and disposal of Bibles
happened in the past,
we are not promised
that it could not happen again.

Where would we be, as believers,
if it did happen?
Where would our children be?

We, as parents, as children of God
and as lights in the world,
cannot afford to not know His Word.
Whether our Bibles are taken or not,
it is crucial for our survival.

May we be challenged and convicted
in memorizing God's Word.
May we get to know our Savior
by knowing His Holy Word.


"My son, keep my words,
and lay up my commandments with thee.
Keep my commandments, and live;
and my law as the apple of thine eye.
Bind them upon thy fingers,
write them upon the table of thine heart."
~ Proverbs 7:1-3


Click below for resources and info...
How Well Do We Know God's Word... continued

6 comments:

Kristi said...

"If our Bibles were taken away from us, how much of God's Word would we be able to put back together through memorization?"

What a powerful question!

A humble Amen to this entire post.

~Kristi

TO BECOME said...

My Memorizing scripture from a very early age has been the biggest blessing in my life. It has kept me in the way and ways of the Lord. Our Pastor has us do a lot of memorizing. He gives us 5 to 10 verses a month and then we say them. I believe it has been a great blessing for our church. Great Post. Thank you, connie from Texas

Unknown said...

Thank you for the reminder. A while back I began memorizing the Sermon on the Mount for that very reason. I didn't get too far when I just forgot to do it one day and now it is months later... I think I will start that back up.

inspired said...

Thank you for that ..
And
thank you 4 your kind comments ;o]

HsKubes said...

Kristi ~ It is a powerful question. I was glad the pastor had asked it then.

Connie ~ What a wonderful blessing to have been memorizing Scripture since you were a little girl. That's wonderful! And what a blessing that y'all do that as a church. His Word is Living and Powerful.

Ginny ~ Sad how time can just 'fly by' like that, huh? It happens to me, too. I'm thankful, though, that He is Faithful in reminding me. May we commit to writing His Word on our hearts and in our minds.

Inspired ~ You're very welcome. ;o)

~ Christina

Wasatch Wife said...

I requested you on facebook before I even knew you had a blog! Friend, you are a wondeful writer! I love this post! Once again, you hit the nail on the head with this one! Thank you for sharing! I am a forever reader! ;D --Sara(ma)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails