Saturday, November 17, 2007

Dealing With Deployments...



There are many military wives/families
that have experienced (or will) dealing with deployments.
Often times, it can be easy to become discouraged.
Not that I am more experienced
(there are plenty of wives that have done this more than I)
and not that I have a fast-acting,
"everything will be wonderful and easy" solution,
but the following are some things that the Lord
has shown me in dealing with deployments...



• Focus on HIM

Keep Jesus Christ the focus.
"But seek ye first the kingdom of God,
and his righteousness; and all these things
shall be added unto you." ~ Matthew 6:33

Be fervent in prayer.
"Pray without ceasing."
(1 Thessalonians 5:17)

Keep a prayer journal.
Instead of calling family and friends,
call on your Heavenly Father,
your Greatest Friend,
"...that sticketh closer than a brother."
(Proverbs 18:24)

Be committed to quiet time with Him.
"... early will I seek thee..." (Psalm 63:1)
"With my whole heart have I sought thee..."
(Psalm 119:10)
Seize the opportunity to draw near to Him,
to nurture a personal and intimate
relationship with Him,
to deepen your walk with Jesus Christ.

Take time to memorize Scripture,
allowing what He says to change
your heart and thinking,
allowing His Word to comfort
and encourage you, always.
"Thy word have I hid in mine heart..."
(Psalm 119:11)
"Blessed are they that keep his testimonies,
and that seek him with the whole heart."
(Psalm 119:2)



• Focus on Husband

Continue to be his helpmeet
"...I will make him an help meet for him."
(Genesis 2:18b)

Pray for him fervently.
"...The effectual fervent prayer
of a righteous man availeth much."
(James 5:16b)

When communicating,
be cheerful, sweet, and informative.
"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold
in pictures of silver." (Proverbs 25:11)

"Let your speech be alway with grace,
seasoned with salt..." (Colossians 4:6)
Avoid complaining.
Be calm when announcing 'bad news'.
Write often, even if it's just a small note,
but be sure to write occasional love letters, too. ;o)
Send care packages.
It doesn't always have to be a lot,
just frequent, thoughtful packages,
letting him know you're thinking of him.

Submit to and honor him.
"Wives, submit yourselves
unto your own husbands,
as it is fit in the Lord."
(Colossians 3:18)

"..and the wife see that
she reverence her husband."
(Ephesians 5:33b)

Help him by being frugal.
Avoid opposite gender friendships.
Ask if he has particular things
he desires for you to do or not to do,
or particular ways to do things.
Do what you can so that
his heart can safely trust in you.
"The heart of her husband
doth safely trust in her..."
(Proverbs 31:11a)



• Focus on Heritage

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD..."
(Psalm 127:3a)
Use this time to focus on the children.
Be diligent and consistent in training them up
in the way they should go (Proverbs 22:6).

Work on character development,
spiritual growth, first time obedience,
habits, chores, life skills, etc...
With hubby's permission, go tv free.
Have special game nights, looking at photos, etc...
Begin or continue family Bible time and prayer time.
Focus on home educating.
"And thou shalt teach them diligently
unto thy children,
and shalt talk of them
when thou sittest in thine house,
and when thou walkest by the way,
and when thou liest down,
and when thou risest up."
(Deuteronomy 6:7)



• Focus on Home

"To be ...keepers at home..." ~ Titus 2:5

"She looketh well to the ways
of her household..." ~ Proverbs 31:27a

Use this time to develop
better home keeping habits.
Read, research, and discover more ways
to make your home a sweet, peaceful haven.
Keep it clean and cozy.
With hubby's permission, downsize and simply.
Learn to make some new meals, desserts, etc...
that he may like when he returns.
Pick up a new hobby that can bless
the family and the home.
"She... worketh willingly with her hands."
(Proverbs 31:13)



• Focus on House of God

"Not forsaking the assembling
of ourselves together..."
(Hebrews 10:25a)
Become and stay faithful in church.
Aim to be in every service.
Be involved and serve the Lord
through the local church.
"...being fruitful in every good work,
and increasing in the knowledge of God."
(Colossians 1:10)

Get to know your church family more,
let them get to know you more,
and develop friendships with them.
"Bear ye one another's burdens,
and so fulfil the law of Christ."
(Galatians 6:2)

"Blessed are they that dwell in thy house:
they will be still praising thee."
(Psalm 84:4)


Deployments can be a time of blessings,
spiritual growth, and so much more.
If we just seize the opportunity,
while trusting Heavenly Father.


~ Christina K© November 2007



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina,
How wonderful. I have always admired how well you cope with deployment. I have seen the wrong side of deployment and it isn't pretty. You always encourage me.
During this past 4 weeks of major repairs I had to really lean on Jesus.I believe hard times make us stronger.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Grafted Branch said...

That post was such a Godly exhortation, I don't even know where to begin.

And while I'm sure that deployment makes all these points more pressing--drawing you more desperately to the throne of grace (and thereby you are blessed), I will be bookmarking it and coming back to it often for the good reminder it is in my own life.

Pam--in America said...

Thanks for writing this, Christina. I'm going to be dealing with a short deployment soon; and even though it won't be as long as some we've had, these are still great things to remember.

~Bren~ said...

Everything you wrote is annointed by God Himself!! I do not deal with deployment, but these can be used for wives who's husbands just go off to work everyday!!

TO BECOME said...

Christina, I am sure your list of things are going to be a great help to those who need it. God bless you for sharing it.

I stopped by to wish All of you a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING. I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanking God for you. connie from Texas

Sis. Julie said...

I know it can't be easy having a husband/father overseas serving in such dangerous places. My brother-in-law is a major in the Army and has been in Iraq since this time last year and won't be coming home till March of next year. His wife and daughter have found the key to making it through and you have mentioned how she does it. Praise the Lord for what He gives to His children to make it through difficult times. I really don't know how wives that don't know Him make it. I guess that is why so many soldiers come home only to find their wives have left them and don't want to be a part of the military life anymore.

I pray your Thanksgiving is wonderful. Love you and appreciate you in so many ways Sis!!

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Thanks for sharing this list and the verses to go with each point. I also think even for us wives who's husbands aren't deployed there are a lot of great tips for us in your post too.

Thanks again. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
~Amy

Anonymous said...

Christina,
First, I LOVE YOU!! :) Your words, thoughts and guidance are not just true for wives. They are similar to how I make it through deployments. I put my confidence in HIM and know that HE will take care of everything.

I Love and Miss you!

Love,
Hubby

Sheri said...

Christina, thank you so much for this post... as a military wife who has been through a long deployment and more TDYs than I can count, your words (and the verses you shared) blessed, encouraged, and challenged me greatly. Thank you! And, Happy Thanksgiving to your beautiful family!

Jodi said...

Christina ~ It's been almost 20 years since my husband was sent on a year long overseas assignment, but I still remember it. Your advice is very good; God is always faithful to uphold His children.

I recall holidays being some of the most difficult times. Praying you and your sweet family have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a husband that is deployed, but he is an over the road truck driver, which makes him gone a lot also. Thank you for such godly advice. This rings true not just for those in your situation, but anyone who is struggling with a less than ideal time situation with their husband. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for writing this! This is how I make it as military wife, but I have never taken the time to sit down and write it out. Thank you for the verses, I am writing them out and marking them in my Bible and journal.
I remember last time my Beloved's favorite thing was that he had a care package at least once a month and had at least one letter or "mottomail" a week!
His favortie thing upon returning was reading the journal of our life's happenings while he was gone. It made him feel like he got to share in our life too!
Thanks again!
Christian Love
MarineMama (Megan)

BTW~ we found out that Our Marine will be leaving advanced party and we will be up your way around the end of January. I hope we can see ya'll again while there.
Oh and yes I found the sewing store. Thanks. I haven't gone in yet, I've been quite busy, but I hope to go next week!
Megan =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails