Monday, April 30, 2007

Proverbs, Play, and a Pair of Glasses...

Recently, I've been working at putting together
a bit of a routine for our days.
We used to have one
but it seems that since we moved here,
Daddy left, Ally got sick, Gramma came,
and life just got so busy.
Anyhoo... I'm slowly beginning to
implement this somewhat 'routine',
in addition to our week of obedience (re)training.


The first thing I want to become consistent in
with our daily events is our Bible/Proverbs time.
Before we moved, we did this often
and really enjoyed it.
So today we began it again.

The children listened as I read
through a chapter of Proverbs
(the chapter corresponds with
the day of the month...
ex. today is the 30th, we read Proverbs 30).
Sometimes we just read
and sometimes we discuss
a few verses together.

After our reading aloud,
we (or just mama)
choose a verse of focus.
I, then write it on the dry erase board,
we read it a few times aloud,
and then we illustrate the verse
(everyone offers their ideas and mama draws)...



Then they put the verse and illustration

on their own piece of paper and color it.
Mama draws for Beth and Carolynne
and they do the coloring.
Will does his illustration himself
and I, sometimes, help him with the
color-in letters for the words.
They enjoy working on them...



Ally wasn't able to do one of her own
but she still commented on how she enjoyed
doing Proverbs Time with everyone this morning.

Here were their (somewhat) finished projects...


Carolynne's, Beth's, and Will's

I like to keep them in a 3-ring binder.

The children enjoyed playing outside today, too.
They couldn't wait to see how their garden was growing.
Will laughed at his green beans...
they were starting to stand straight up!

Also, today, we went to pick up Ally's new glasses.
She was so excited that she would
be able to see/read without her eyes hurting.
I think they look very nice on her...




We enjoyed a nice supper with Gramma.
She leaves in two more days. (boo hoo)
We've SO enjoyed having her here.
It's been such a blessing!

I hope y'all are enjoying your week!





5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the idea of "illustrating" a target verse each day! My son and I read a Pro. daily to correspond with the date also, but I never thought about taking it a step further as you do. I will try it tomorrow as we beging with chapter one again!Thanks for sharing this idea!

Also, Ally's glasses look so much like mine!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, your children are so adorable. How is Ally feeling today? I just wanted to send her some encouragement as I'm in the same boat she is right now. Multiple tests, multiple doctors. I am being tested and retested for Myasthenia Gravis, I have my next appointment with my next new doctor in August, He is a neuro muscular specialst. I have follow up blood work and another Chest Cat scan in june. It will get better as time goes by. Plus, the methimazole should soon start helping her feel at least a little better. Remeber to be religious about getting blood tests to check your thyroid levels, as any fluxuation either way can make you feel bad. :) Hope that helps!!! Have a great day!!!
Mrs. Bowman

Kristi said...

Ally, you look beautiful with your new glasses. I'm glad you can see and read without your eyes hurting also!

~Kristi

Shereen said...

What a neat idea to have to have them illustrate what you are reading. I am going to give that a try. I hope Ally is feeling better. We will continue to keep her in prayer.

HsKubes said...

Pam ~ Hope you enjoy trying this. We have enjoyed this for quite some time. We enjoy looking back over all of the Proverbs we have illustrated. Kinda like our own little Proverbs picture book.

Mrs. Bowman ~ Ally seems to be feeling alright, except for the tingling/aching feet, legs, and hands. Thank you, again, for your encouragement and advice. They are appreciated so much! Praying for you.

Kristi ~ Thank you. Ally is enjoying the ease of being able to see now.

Shereen ~ I hope y'all enjoy doing this. We've had lots of fun with it! Thank you for praying for Ally. We appreciate your prayers! Oh, it was nice to hear from you so many times today. lol

~ Christina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails