Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What's Up Wednesday...


Can you guess what we did today?
Yep, we travelled to the university hospital
for Ally's emg (nerve test).
The three hour drive there wasn't too bad.
It's always a blessing when
two recently potty trained girls
make the trip with no accidents (or stops).
We had to stop once on the way,
to wipe up a chocolate milk spill, though...
and now I need to steam clean the van.
But we wiped up and moved on.
We spent most of the time singing together.
Boy, we love to sing!

After we arrived,
we all crammed into the small room
to observe Ally's testing.
It was a real blessing how the doctors
made the other children feel welcome, too.

I think Will probably had the most fun.
There were two doctors there.
One was an intern (I believe)
and then there was the 'main' doctor.
Well the doctor sat next to Will
and they talked about all sorts of things...
favorite veggies, the perks of mechanical pencils,
favorite books to read, etc...
He also 'recruited' Will to be his assistant.
He traded in his clipboard
for Will's book
and told Will that he could do his job.
Will seemed a bit concerned, at first,
since he obviously has no experience at being a doctor.
I had to fight back my laughter
as the doctor showed Will how to practice
the "serious doctor expression"
by putting his finger up to his chin,
making frown wrinkles on his forehead,
and saying a deep, "Hmmm...."
And Will, curiously interested in this man's job,
copied what the doctor was showing him.
It was so cute!
The doctor also allowed Will
to write in the numbers on Ally's chart,
as they discovered them.
It was precious to see how Will
responded to being such a big helper.

The lil' girls enjoyed reading books
and trying out the spinning chairs. {grin}

Ally did well, though she could not say
that she actually liked it,
but it was tolerable.
She did enjoy watching the screen, however.

After the appointment,
we stopped in the lobby to watch
an interesting display of marbles.
It was some sort of contraption
that sent the marbles racing around
a very, long and ongoing course,
using all kinds of gears and such.
Will, Beth, and Carolynne
enjoyed watching it for, at least, half an hour.
In the meantime,
there was a piano sitting in the lobby!
Ally was very excited to play.
She serenaded the hospital with music.
And I enjoyed being able to stand back
and watch my precious children
enjoying themselves so much...
especially at a hospital.

We made it home in time to eat an apple,
grab our Bibles, and head to church.
Phew!
It made for a long day,
but it was an enjoyable one.
And though we were physically exhausted,
it's always a blessing
to be spiritually refreshed in God's house.

This evening, before Ally headed to bed,
we were able to have one of those
wonderful heart-to-heart mother/daughter talks.
Boy, I love those.
Though they can be bittersweet.
Our God is so Good.
My children are so precious to me.
Thank you, Lord.


"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD:
and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man;
so are children of the youth.
Happy is the man
that hath his quiver full of them:
they shall not be ashamed,
but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."
~ Psalm 127:3-5






7 comments:

Military Mommy said...

Your deep love for your children is shown so well in your beautiful words. You have great gifts as a writer.

I enjoyed this very much.

Michelle

TO BECOME said...

I am glad you all had such an ejoyable if tiring day. I am sure your children especially you son will remember the day for a long time. My children are very precious to me also even thought they are grown and married with children of their own. I thank God for His blessings on me. connie from Texas

Shereen said...

I'm happy to hear that the trip and everything went so well. I was able to picture everything as I read it. lol That's so nice that the doctor was so child friendly. It sounds like Wil had a nice time. I hope all the results come back with some good news.

Janie said...

We just had those tests last fall and they can be a little scarey for a child. Glad she did so well. Long day for you guys again, though. I hope they find what they are looking for. God Bless!

Kristi said...

I love it when you write about those special moments with your children!

~Kristi

HsKubes said...

Military Mommy ~ Thank you for your kind words. They were a blessing to me.

Connie ~ I'm sure they (especially Will) will long remember our visit, too. He loved talking about it. I know that one day my children will be grown, as well... and, yes, they will always be precious. *Ü*

Shereen ~ I'm so glad you were able to picture it. I was really kicking myself for leaving the camera in the van! lol We were very thankful they were so child-friendly.

Janie ~ Yes, they can be a bit intimidating for a child. I was glad she did well and that it wasn't too painful, too.

Kristi ~ Thank you. I love writing about them and am glad that y'all don't mind. *Ü*

Anonymous said...

awww,its so wonderful that the doctor was so good about including everyone. It is a blessing to have freindly knowlegable doctors! Glad you had a good and somewhat enjoyable trip.
Mrs. Bowman

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails