Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Putting Off and Putting On...

{{transferred from previous blog...
reflections from quiet time...}}




As people, sinners saved by grace, we are all flawed
and greatly slack in godly character.
We cannot develop godly character

without having a close relationship
with Jesus Christ
and without a desire to "put on"
the character of Jesus Christ.

"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ...."
~ Romans 13:4a

We also need to be diligent
to "put off" the desires of our flesh.
"...and make not provision for the flesh,
to fulfil the lusts thereof."
~ Romans 13:4b


"If so be that ye have heard him,
and have been taught by him,
as the truth is in Jesus:
that ye put off concerning
the former conversation the old man,
which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
and be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
and that ye put on the new man,
which after God is created
in righteousness and true holiness."
~ Ephesians 4:21-24


Contrasting the
putting on and putting off,
according to God's Word.


Put OFF ~

"...let us therefore cast off the works of darkness..."
~ Romans 13:12a

"...put off concerning the former conversation
the old man, which is corrupt
according to the deceitful lusts..."
~ Ephesians 4:22

"Mortify therefore your members
which are upon the earth;
fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection,
evil concupiscence, and covetousness,
which is idolatry:"
~ Colossians 3:5

"But now ye also put off all these;
anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy,
filthy communication out of your mouth."
~ Colossians 3:8

"...put off the old man with his deeds"
~ Colossians 3:9



Put ON ~

"...let us put on the armour of light."
~ Romans 13:12b

"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ..."
~ Romans 13:14a

"And that ye put on the new man,
which after God is created
in righteousness and true holiness.
~ Ephesians 4:24

"Put on the whole armour of God..."
~ Ephesians 6:11

"... put on the new man,
which is renewed in knowledge
after the image of him that created him:"
~ Colossians 3:10

"Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved,
bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind,
meekness, longsuffering;"
~ Colossians 3:12

"And above all these things put on charity,
which is the bond of perfectness."
~ Colossians 3:14

"...giving all diligence,
add to your faith virtue;
and to virtue knowledge;
And to knowledge temperance;
and to temperance patience;
and to patience godliness;
And to godliness brotherly kindness;
and to brotherly kindness charity."
~ 2 Peter 1:5-7



We should never be satisfied with ourselves
and we should eagerly seek

to become more like Christ.
"Let this mind be in you,
which was also in Christ Jesus"
~Philippians 2:5

"...to be conformed to the image of his Son..."

~ Romans 8:29


We should also be in constant examination of ourselves...
"Examine yourselves..." ~ 2 Corinthians 13:5

"But let a man examine himself..." ~ 1 Corinthians 11:28

"Examine me, O LORD, and prove me;
try my reins and my heart." ~ Psalm 26:2

"Search me, O God, and know my heart:
try me, and know my thoughts:" ~ Psalm 139:23


Christian character development
involves personal committment
and the willingness to change.
"I press toward the mark for the prize
of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."
~ Philippians 3:14


In Galatians 5:22-23 we are given a perfect example
of Christian character traits:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is
love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness,
goodness, faith, meekness, temperance:
against such there is no law."
The Holy Spirit enables us to have this fruit.
When this fruit is in our lives and homes,

we are able to greatly influence
our children's character and usefulness to the Lord.
Which is what counts in eternity.



~ My ongoing prayer ~

"Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes;
and I shall keep it unto the end.
Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law;
yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

Make me to go in the path of thy commandments;
for therein do I delight.
Incline my heart unto thy testimonies,
and not to covetousness.
Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity;
and quicken thou me in thy way.
Stablish thy word unto thy servant,

who is devoted to thy fear.
Turn away my reproach which I fear:
for thy judgments are good.
Behold, I have longed after thy precepts:
quicken me in thy righteousness.
Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD,
even thy salvation, according to thy word.
So shall I have wherewith to answer
him that reproacheth me:
for I trust in thy word.
And take not the word of truth

utterly out of my mouth;
for I have hoped in thy judgments.

So shall I keep thy law continually
for ever and ever.
And I will walk at liberty:
for I seek thy precepts.
I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings,

and will not be ashamed.
And I will delight myself in thy commandments,
which I have loved.
My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments,
which I have loved;
and I will meditate in thy statutes."
~ Psalms 119:33-48


4 comments:

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Christina,
Thanks for this post, it was exactly what I needed to read this evening.

The Lord spoke to my heart through your post. Thank you for sharing your studies with us.

Have a wonderful evening
~Amy

TO BECOME said...

I loved your post today. I like the Putting off and doing the putting on thoughts. They were great. I hope I am constantly putting off and putting more of Christ on. Thank you, connie from Texas

Disney for Boys said...

Beautiful post! Thank your for the encouraging message!

HsKubes said...

Amy ~ I'm thankful the Lord was able to use it. ;o)

Connie ~ Thank you. I hope the same thing.

Tiany ~ Thank you. I'm glad you were encouraged by it.


~ Christina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails