Friday, December 21, 2007

Shaped Cheese Scones...

This afternoon, the children and I
went for a visit and took a basket of these
to an older lady from our church and her sister.
Since they were cutouts,
we were able to sample them! ;o)
And they are a new family favorite!
We cut them out in holiday shapes...




Then packaged them up to present them...



Shaped Cheese Scones

2 C unbleached flour
2 TBS sugar
3 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar, mozzerella,
or pepper jack cheese
1 egg
1/2 C fat free sour cream
1/4 canola oil
3 TBS milk

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt,
baking soda, and garlic powder into a bowl.
Stir in cheese.
In a separate bowl, combine egg, sour cream,
oil and milk. Make a well in the center of
the dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture
just until moistened.
Turn dough onto a floured surface;
knead gently 10-12 times.
Pat out to 1/3 inch thickness.
Cut with shaped cutters.
Place about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 425 for 11-15 minutes or till golden brown.
Remove from pan to wire rack.
Serve warm and enjoy!

recipe adapted from The Taste of Home Baking Book

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice. :-D

Mrs. Taft said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the recipe too! I am confused however...how do you know if your baking soda is aluminum-free? I use arm & hammer...

HsKubes said...

Ginny ~ Thank you. ;o)

Mrs. T ~ You're very welcome. I purchased our baking soda and powder, at the same time because I forgot which one I needed at the time, from a store that sells natural foods. Our baking soda said "aluminum free" so that is what I wrote in this post. However, your question challenged me to research a little and I saw that Arm and Hammer is simply sodium bicarbonate, too. So I'm not really sure why our soda says "Aluminum Free" when it appears that baking soda, in general, is aluminum free. I can only speculate, but I won't. I have removed the 'aluminum free' from the baking soda part of the recipe. ;o) So sorry for the confusion. Thank you, though, for pointing that out. I did discover, while searching, that some have 'issues' with that particular company regarding animal cruelty but I didn't find anything that said there was aluminum in their baking soda. I'm not very chemistry-savvy so I guess I just saw the 'aluminum free' and said, "Ooh! I'll get that, too."

~ Christina

Mrs. Taft said...

Oh ok :D I see. I was a little worried for a bit there...I didn't see anything about aluminum on the labels, but I wanted to make sure! Thank you for taking the time to research it and answer my question, it's much appreciated :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails